Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Week Two is Behind Me

The tragedy of #life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it - Anon

I read the above quote from Running Quotes and it struck a chord with me. That is how I feel BUT I also feel that at least I began!

So, a little recap of week two:

Day 1:

06/05/2011 - Groin is SORE and I am apprehensive about this run. Should I do it or put it off... I decide that I have been putting things off and making excuses most of my life and will CHOOSE not to do that anymore. I also decide that I have to "get real" and if this pain gets worse I will not be doing myself any favours by running and risk hurting it more - so I take to the treadmill and run on there. Easy and slow pace was the key to success on this run. I finished with a calorie burn of 673 calories and an average heart rate of 147 with a maximum heart rate of 174.

Then the pain in the groin got worse... I considered going to the clinic and told myself that if things did not get better by Friday that I would go seek medical advice but on 06/10/2011 I felt good enough to tackle day two. This was a tough course that we decided to take... that is right WE (Mr. Wonderful and I) with big elevations but I felt SOOOOOOO good when we finished. It was hot, it was the only night in about one year that there was no wind, it was hilly but OH SO GOOD. I burned 872 calories and had an average heart rate of 155 with a maximum heart rate of 182.

06/14/2011 - Day three we head out on my favorite run... just the right amount of hills to get your heart rate up but flat enough that I can convince my teenager to attempt the run with me. I talked her right into it and we were off. We ran a little slower that I would have liked for the first run segment and then my Bear ran at her pace and allowed me to run on ahead so that I could get a good burn. I loved running with Bear because we got to chat and I was encouraging her and it made me shut the voice up in my head that sometimes tells me that I may not make it. I think that I can safely say that this was my favorite run so far... 698 calories with an average heart rate of 155 and a maximum of 177.

So, for those runners who encourage me and leave me comments THANK YOU! You help me to keep going thinking that you all started as I am... one foot in front of the other. I also would like to hear your feedback on my pace... right now (according to my B210K App with GPS) I am running a 12 minute mile for the run... is that ok? I know that I have a goal of running 10 - minute miles but does it start with a 12 minute or should I be running a bit faster and pushing myself more now?

Looking forward to hearing from you all... make it a great day!

5 comments:

Scrappytbear said...

WTG on week 2; I wish my teen would run with me. She thinks running is boring. this child swims hundreds of km of laps in a pool and she thinks running is boring.
You know what I think about your pace; speed will come!

Unknown said...

you are totally inspiring! i am slow pokey but I still enjoy running. if it gives you hope I started at 12 minutes and my last race got below a 10 minute mile on all for 4 miles of the race! I have been running since January!

Anne said...

So glad you were able to get back out there and finish your week 2! As for speed...I wouldn't worry to much about it. First focus on getting the distance in and then when you're comfortable with the distance, you can try and push it a bit. Plus, we're usually faster during a race than when we train...which I love :)

Unknown said...

Wasn't sure how to answer your question on my blog--the Lululemon skirt fit me right on, same size as my jeans size. The clerks said they run small...I did like the extra length in the Tall, but I am 5'10" and need it to cover up!

Deidre said...

Nice work! I am not a runner, so I am super impressed with your dedication AND your 12 minute miles.